There goes a monster truck.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Project goals, roles, and other fun

Before I go into my goals I want to play the role of cheerleader.

We have a great opportunity to design, plan, build and complete a project with no corporate political bureaucracy to wade through, no accounting hoops to jump through, and no half-baked marketing plan to mislead us. Yes, I understand there are still some constraints and obstacles to work around, but I’m not going to be a kill joy and go into those. I just want everyone to be excited at the prospect of getting to make something big, hopefully fun, and having their creativity freed from the man.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve been creating web content from a graphic design perspective going on 8 years and I’ve been a member of creative and design teams varying in sizes from 2 to 20. There are many reasons teams have succeed or failed that I’ve participated in, but the main factor in the effectiveness of the team has always been one thing, clear expectations. The team needs to communicate expectations with each other and with Kathy very clearly. Fulfilled expectations bring happiness; unclear expectations bring frustration and confusion which leads to failure and finger pointing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The goals or areas I want to focus on during the project:

There is probably one word for what I want to focus on, but I can’t think of it so I’m going to use many. The following job titles all have aspects of things I want to learn; Product Manager, Creative Director, Producer, Information Architect, Usability Engineer, even some aspects of Account Management. Basically, I’m trying to figure out a way to say I want to get better at managing resources, the creative process, and site assets, as well as expand my design skills with a better understanding of usability factors. I would also like to learn backend programming, but I suspect this isn’t the right class for that.

One role that is best left to someone else is copyediting/proofreading. I’m not good at this nor have a real desire to become good. Video or sound editing however, while not a strength of mine, is something I would like to learn more from the experts among us. Many of you expressed an interest in learning some common software applications. I’ll be happy to share what I know and some tricks I’ve learned. Please don’t hesitate to ask.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the projects have good potential. The one I gravitate most towards is Brian’s “I remember idea”. I think this not only has a lot of legs to go far in our class, but can potentially continue to grow through time. The content itself can be very rich in nature or just simple text, very flexible depending on time, resources and subject matter. I like the idea of focusing on one topic like Seattle, but I also think there are many other topics to consider as well, like favorite food Mom cooked, or childhood toys, TV shows, lots of back in the good old days stuff. And I don’t mean to sound like it has to be all really old, kid have great memories that are old to them as well. I think this is a great thing to brain storm about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home