There goes a monster truck.

Monday, October 10, 2005

Chapter 1: The Telegraph.

I was a little worried about enjoying this book after reading the introduction, but chapter one about the telegraph was much better. It also made me understand why I slogging through that introduction was necessary.

Two things that hit me from reading about the invention of the telegraph:

  1. I never knew why the U.S. had a privately developed telecommunication system, while countries in Europe have a public developed system. I don’t know if one is better worse that the other. Maybe that could be someone’s research.
  2. The other thing I thought was interesting goes along with the area I want to research, design and usability. A major factor in the Morse system ‘winning’ over the others was the simplicity of his code. He drew on printer’s experience with type-fonts to help design a code that was easy to learn and use.

Just a side comment about the book and I’m going to sound juvenile here, but I wish there were more pictures of the devices the author is describing.

1 Comments:

  • I must agree, the introduction was deadly. It made me feel as dumb as a stump. I tried four times before I made it past page 6. I am embarrassed to admit that his verbiage and convoluted sentence structure made me holler on more than one occasion, “Just get to the damn point.” And I am all for some cool pictures as long as they reinforce the ideas presented. I am still uncertain how the drawings in the introduction illuminated his points. It struck me as all rather random. At lest it got better once we got into the body of the book. Although I am uncertain whether it is because I am now used to the cadence or he has moved past his burning need to write a sentence inside out.

    By Blogger Drew Keller, at 9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home